Saturday 24 September 2011

How do I change my Windows XP Icons?

Heya! I've downloaded some .ico files so I could personalize my computer. I dunno how to install them, though! Can anyone help? I've Windows XP.
How do I change my Windows XP Icons?
To change folder or shortcut icons:



1. Right-click the shortcut/folder you are changing, click Properties, and then click Change Icon.

2. Click the picture of the icon you would like the shortcut to use, click OK, and then click OK.



If you want to change system icons such as the Recycle bin, it involves messing with system files which I don't think you want to do unless you are an advanced user.



My advice would be to just get a program such as StyleXP or Stardock's IconPackager. These allow you to download pre-packaged icons and install them.



If the icons that you have already downloaded are not packaged (meaning that you just have a folder or .zip of individual icons) then you could download Stardock's IconDeveloper, package your icons, save the package, then install the package with StarDock's IconPackager. This isn't a lot of work, but it does require a little patients. Took me an hour to package 2 sets of icons and install one of them.



You should try Vista Transformation Pack 7.0. Makes Windows XP look like Vista (but better in my opinion)



Check it out:

http://www.windowsxlive.net/?page_id=15
How do I change my Windows XP Icons?
Yeah just right click on the icon you want to personalize and click properties.